Sunday, March 16, 2008

You're not old enough!

About a week ago I went to the eye doctor to try and get reading glasses. My contacts prescription isn't strong enough in one eye so trying to read to books is a little difficult. The words double over and get blurry. I walked in and asked to buy reading glasses. I needed a low prescription of them. I didn't think it would be that difficult because you can walk into a store in the States that doesn't have anything to do with eye care and buy reading glasses. I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. The people working in there kept asking me how old I was. Each time I told someone that I was 25 they told me I was too young to get reading glasses and they wouldn't let me purchase them! So no reading glasses!

The way that was handled with the Chinese is very similar to how they do a lot of things. It's about rules and what someone else said, rather than looking at the situation itself and making a judgment based on that.

Winter jackets for instance. In the fall they don't put on down coats until a certain date. It doesn't matter if it's been below freezing for weeks, they wait for that date. And although it was still freezing in February they got rid of the down coats. It's about what's always been done. It's interesting to think on it.