Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Learning the Ropes

I like to think that I'm an amateur cook. I mean, I like to try new recipes all the time! And the more difficult the better because I like a challenge! Well in the midst of learning to cook Thai food and Indian food and Moroccan food I have not learned to cook the food of my ancestors-Southern food. I know, sad, right? Honestly, it kind of scares me. When I cook these foods from all over the world my family has no idea if I botched it or not. They've never tasted it. I'm the only one who knows "um...this isn't supposed to taste like this". But Southern food? That's a whole 'nother story. My mother is a pro. Her mother was a pro. And my dad grew up on it. And well, so did we. So if I botch that everyone knows!!! There's pressure there you know? My first instinct is to just pass the responsibility onto my mother. I prep things for her and she does the rest.

This past Sunday was a bit different. I don't know how it happened exactly but I became responsible for our family dinner. (This means lunch in Southern language.) So yeah, I made the big pot roast with carrots and potatoes and onions. The house is getting ready for church and I'm in the kitchen doing what I think is enough browning of the meat. Perfect example: I didn't brown the meat enough. But mom was gracious. Stick that meat in the pot with the fixin's and let it cook.

Went to church and came home and finished the meal.

Oh yeah I made homemade macaroni and cheese, which I must admit, was DELICIOUS! The Eye Round Roast was soooo tender, the collard greens were wonderful as well as the baby lima beans. And I made a Waldorf Salad with just the perfect amount of mayo so that the fruit isn't swimming in it. Mom made the sweet tea because frankly, I haven't perfected that yet. And you don't want to ruin a perfect Sunday dinner with bad tea.

To finish up our meal I made a homemade Chocolate Meringue Pie that was out of this world! Dad had two pieces! There was a walk in between lunch and dessert, don't worry!

One meal down on the Southern front-many, many more to go. Thanks for teaching mom!