Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gas stove

Yesterday was the first day I have ever used a gas stove. It was nerve-racking and scary! I was so scared I was going to blow up my apartment or something. You see the news and hear the stories and then you go to use one without any assistance and it's just crazy! I asked the people here how to do it because I wanted to be sure. But it's like when you're in those situations you just forget everything you're taught/told. Yesterday morning I made eggs. They were ok. But that doesn't mean much, I couldn't make eggs in the States. (I think they were actually a little better here!)

Tonight I had my first guest, another westerner, for dinner. I made chicken curry on the gas stove. I also used my rice cooker for the first time. (Rice is another thing I couldn't make in the States to save my life.) I also botched that here. It was too gooey. I'll have to adjust what I do for next time.

But the curry was delicious! And my first entertaining event in China was a success!

I managed to communicate through sherades to day with my Aiyee today regarding the trash. Next word on the list to learn is "No". She kept wanting to dig through my trash to make sure I wasn't throwing away something that would be valuable to her. It was just food trash. Yuck!

Life takes a little getting used to over here, but it really is wonderful! (Remind me that I said this when I am complaining later!)