Sunday, August 26, 2007

Traffic

I wish I could give you pictures as to what the traffic and the streets look like here. Twice now I've almost been hit by a bus while running in the morning. I have been spared. You know how the States has this "Pedestrians have the right of way" thing? China doesn't. China has a "let's play chicken" thing. There are stop lights but most people don't adhere to them. If they can go, they go and if there are people walking or riding their bikes they had better move! This goes for stop signs and certain sides of the street. No one really does what's expected. They're kind of everywhere.

This is how I almost got hit, twice! Walking along the street and I'm crossing a little street where there's just a stop sign. There isn't a lot of traffic from these streets ever, but the times that I was crossing the side (trying to go down the main street) and a bus comes around the corner so fast it almost hit me.

The other one was this morning when crossing a major intersection. I had the walk sign and was crossing this intersection and a bus full of people tear through their RED stop light to almost hit. They blow on the horn and I stopped, thankfully!

So I have to be extra careful from now on:)

And today was the first full day of rain we've had since I arrived. I spend the day indoors rearranging my furniture, unpacking some more and making bagels (which turned out okay, but still edible)!