Friday, August 8, 2008

The Squatty-Potty


For some of you this post may not be a "socially acceptable topic". But for the sake of culture, I have to do it. Please bare with me. This is a picture of a squatty-potty as the foreigners affectionately call it. It's called that because that's what you have to do-squat down. This is the preferred "toilet" in Asian culture, not just China. It's also popular in parts of Africa. I first encountered this "toilet" in Cambodia, again in Kenya, in India and now again in China. And usually in these bathrooms there is no toilet paper provided. So you must bring your own or well...there's a problem.

Another interesting story. Don't know if I shared this earlier, but as my parents and I were on the train to Xi'An at the beginning of our trip there was a toddler going to the bathroom in the public hallway of the train. And the mother was watching as it was running down the hall of the train. Then two of my friends were traveling on a train just last week and the woman woke up in the middle of the night to find that the child who was sleeping above her was urinating over the side of the bunk onto the floor. At first it's completely gross, but then you have to laugh at it. I mean, you know, This Is China. Oh and there will be more of these stories I'm sure. There are always more...