Saturday, October 11, 2008

Is it Burma or Myanmar?

Nowadays it's Myanmar but the people of that country still refer to themselves as Burmese and the country that they live in as Burma. Therefore, out of respect for them, I'm calling the country Burma from here on out.

I went there yesterday. Quick trip. I am in Thailand 40 days or something and my visa expires after 30. So yesterday I headed out with a friend I met here at The Juniper Tree and we drove to Burma. Quite crazy really. Took a map and sack lunch and headed out. Great fun! Crossed the border, got a new visa and came back. And then stayed in Chiang Rai, Thailand for the night before driving back to Chiang Mai, Thailand this morning. We actually just arrived at 3:45pm. Great drive through the mountains of Thailand and a great deal on two orchids. $10!