Monday, September 27, 2010

Sermet's Corner-Restaurant Review

Friday night Beau and I went out to dinner with two of my friends, Trent and Nicole, to Sermet's Corner downtown Charleston at the corner of King and Wentworth. Out of a possible 10 being the best I would give it a 5. We were pretty excited about going becase the menu looked so amazing! I called around 1:00 that afternoon to make a reservation for that evening to which I was told that I didn't need one on a Friday night. I should have stuck to my gutt feeling on this because we arrived at 7:00 and the place was packed! And there was no telling when someone was going to leave! Beau and I waited at the bar for a table to open up. It wasn't until 7:45 that something opened up for us.
 
And after being hit with that shock I was engulfed with the noise of the place! By far one of the loudest places I've been in. It was honestly hard to hear Beau speak to me and he was sitting right next to me. After the four of us were seated we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who promptly brought us our drinks and some bread with dipping oil (premade). We perused the manu for a while and all decided on appetizers and entrees. I will say that one of the best things that Sermet's offers is an option for a "half portion entree" with a discounted price. You know us girls can't eat all that food! Or at least we shouldn't. :)
 
Here's what we ordered:
 
Beau and Kathryn:
Appetizer-Baked artichoke torta garnished with parmesan cheese and salsa cruda
B's Entree-Shrimp, prosciutto, and sun-dried tomatoes sautéed in a white wine tarragon cream sauce tossed in pearl cous cous topped with gorgonzola cheese
K's Entree-Grilled sea cakes served with crab avocado ravioli and mustard apricot ginger cream sauce served with sautéed vegetables
 
Trent and Nicole:
Appetizer-Prince Edward Island mussels sautéed with roastedgarlic and ginger in a curry lemon cream sauce
T's Entree-Grilled sea cakes served with crab avocado ravioli and mustard apricot ginger cream sauce served with sautéed vegetables
N's Entree-Shrimp, prosciutto, and sun-dried tomatoes sautéed in a white wine tarragon cream sauce tossed in pearl cous cous topped with gorgonzola cheese
 
(We didn't realize we ordered the same entrees until they were delivered to the table. :) )
 
Trent and Nicole's appetizer was very good. The sauce totally made that dish, which of course is always true with sauteed mussels. Mine and Beau's appetizer left much to be desired. I was unaware there were olives in there. Kathryn doesn't like olives. And Beau and I both agreed that it needed some sort of delivery device. It was basically an artichoke lump on a plate. Here you go! We were not excited.
 
I don't know how Trent and Nicole felt about their dishes so I can't speak for them, but Beau and I were not thrilled.
 
His shrimp were a little overcooked and the whole look of the dish was just, well, blah. It was all tossed together and in a bowl. And those sun-dried tomatoes that are usually so good in pasta dishes were very dry and really barely there. My "sea cake" which I found out later was made with Tilapia (a very cheap piece of fish) and no crab was dry and burnt. But the crab avocado ravioli was amazing and it was obvious it was made fresh. Wow! That was delicious! As was the mustard apricot ginger cream sauce. I ended up soaking up that sauce with the leftover bread it was so good.
 
Overall, food was below par, it was loud, one of two bathrooms were broken, service was poor and it quite overpriced for what you get.
 
Will not be returning. Sorry Sermet's.

No comments: