Monday, October 4, 2010

Disney World Wine & Dine Festival-restaurant(s) review

Beau and I headed down to Florida on Friday primarily for him to run the Inaugural Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon. And before I go on I should say that he did amazing! He set a personal record and that was after walking all over Disney World all day. Oh, did I mention the race started at 10:00pm Saturday night? Yes, a night race. WOW! I was really impressed and really proud of him. But as a bonus to the race, we were able to attend the 15th annual Wine & Dine Festival, which will become annual for us as well. So much fun!
 
Friday night Beau and I went to a restaurant in Downtown Disney called Portobello's. The reviews weren't great (we researched prior to going), but this place has an appetizer that is Beau's favorite so we went anyway. And I have to say, I was thrilled with the whole evening. We were able to be seated immediately and although our waiter was MIA for a while, when we did find him, he was fabulous. Stephen was his name and he initiated an evening of singing everything to us that I gladly reciprocated with singing back. So fun and so not Kathryn. But hey, I was in Disney World. It's a magical place right?! Beau and I ordered cocktails- Beau having a Long Island Iced Tea and me a Orangcello Martini that tasted like dessert! That app that Beau loved is a whole head of garlic that has been roasted to pure sweetness and then drizzled in more olive oil and topped with cracked pepper. You're given some really nice Italian bread to do the dipping and spreading and presto! deliciousness!
 
Beau ordered Shrimp in a what was more or less primavera. He needed something light since he was running the next day. I ordered Clams and Linguine and yes, that was a first timer for me and will not be a last timer. It was wonderful! I couldn't eat it all, but man did I want to! I wish I could have some right now!
 
Saturday started the wining and dining in EPCOT for the festival and Beau and I took advantage of that festival before and after the race. Here is what we had:
 
HOPS AND BARLEY:
Boston-style Crab Cake with Cabbage Slaw and Remoulade
New England Lobster Rolls
 
MOROCCO:
Kefta Pocket (Ground Seasoned Beef in a PIta Pocket)
Sangria
Tangerine Mimosa Royale
 
BELGIUM:
Freshly Baked Waffles with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream
Godiva Chocolate Iced Coffee
 
SPAIN:
Taste of Spain (Serrano Ham, Chorizo, Manchego, Olives and Tomato Bread)
 
FRANCE:
Escargots Persillade en Brioche
Creme Brulee au Chocolat au Lait
Sparkling Pomegranate Kir
Parisian Cosmo Slush
 
IRELAND:
Lobster and Scallop Fisherman's Pie
Bunratty Meade Honey Wine
 
CHARCUTERIE AND CHEESE:
Nueske's Charcuterie Plate (Applewood Smoked Beef, Duck and Ham)
 
I would have to say that my least favorite thing was the Creme Brulee which is a huge shock because that's my favorite dessert. But it had the consistency of Jello Pudding and not real custard. And my favorite would have to be the Escargots in Brioche. I had never had escargots, but wow. And well Brioche...enough said. But everything was really amazing! We'll be going back for sure and I recommend  you look into going next year. It's worth it!

No comments: