Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Virginia's On King-Restaurant Review

This past Sunday I headed down to Virginia's on King with Beau, Donna, Mimi and my mother for brunch. I had bought one of the $25 gift certificates from Restaurant.com for only $1 and wanted to take advantage of it. Plus, I had never been there before. The restaurant is located on upper King St. (the part that is still 2-way). I made a reservation earlier in the week and I'm glad I did because Sunday mornings are packed!
 
Before going, I asked around to see what the word on the street was regarding the food and they were mixed. Some people said it was great and some people said it wasn't so great. Of course I'm going to find out on my own so out we went!
 
It's a nice atmosphere downstairs but the bar is right there in the middle of everything and you can't escape it. So if you don't like that, ask to be seated upstairs, which is cozy and it overlooks the city. While you're waiting to order or waiting for your food you can help yourself to breakfast bread (i.e. banana bread, lemon poppyseed bread, chocolate marble bread, etc.) at the end of the bar. And it's a good thing too, because our waitress was not so great. But to her defense I think she was overtasked. She was managing the bar, as well as waitressing a number of tables. Maybe they were down on wait staff that day. Hmm...
 
So the food. The brunch menu is full of appetizer options, omelettes, sandwiches and breakfast plates, with omelette and quiche specials changing everyday. After the women ordered their coffee and the gentleman ordered his Diet Coke we set out for the entree ordering.
 
Beau-Bull's Eye-Two eggs griddle fried in Texas Toast w/ macaroni and cheese and bacon
Kathryn (me) - Crab and Asparagus Omelette w/ Hollandaise, stone ground grits and a biscuit
Donna-same as me, exactly
Karen-appetizer of Fried Green Tomatoes, Biscuit, Sausage Gravy and stone ground grits (yes, she ordered everything a la carte to fit what she wanted to the tee!)
Mimi-Local Shrimp sauteed with smoked sausage and bell peppers, served over creamy stone-ground grits, topped with tasso ham gravy
 
So the verdict? Good. Yeah, not great, but good.
My mom loved her little a la carte thing and Beau loved his whole plate.
My grits were delicious! Heavy cream and initial salting makes all the difference when cooking grits. So good. My omelette was okay, but I could tell they used some sort of filler in the eggs. It was like they used Bisquick or something in them, they were extremely fluffy and solid yellow. Real eggs (with nothing added) aren't like that. I like real eggs.
 
I would probably return. Who knows.
 
 

No comments: