Friday, October 29, 2010

Wild Olive-Restaurant Review

Okay, so here we go again.
 
Wild Olive is an Italian restaurant located on John's Island, SC. My food friend, Lauren, and I met for dinner Wednesday night to have a laid back night of great food and great conversation.
 
On entrance we were freezing and therefore asked for the warmest table in the restaurant, which was naturally right next to the kitchen. This would normally have been the choice seat, but we were able to enjoy our time there with shivering and it allowed us to keep an eye on our waitor!
 
Lauren and I sat down in comfortable seats at a table for two and handed a wine list. And to my excitement I found the white wine that I had had at Mercato a few weeks prior! Because that wine was heavenly I ordered it again! And while enjoying that Lauren and I munched on our Italian bread with olive oil and the Fried Risotto Balls with a Vodka Tomato Aioli that we ordered as an apptizer. And before I move I should tell you how delicious those risotto balls were! With each bite mozzarella and parmesan cheese came oozing out of it. Yum. The bread, on the other hand, not so great. It was tough and dry. But that would be the only bad thing I had to say about the entire evening.
 
The service the entire evening was right on point. With Paul, our waitor, and another guy double-teaming our table we were never without anything. The food came out promptly after cooking and everything was very professional and nice. They were accomodating to our needs and wants and anything extra we requested.
 
For our Primi we ordered:
Lauren-Penne with Sausage and Chicken in a cream sauce with sun-dried tomatoes
Kathryn-Linguine in a lemon-butter sauce with mussels, calamari, shrimp and scallops (I ate every bite ad soaked up the sauce with the leftover bread)
 
For our Secondi we ordered: (yes we ordered two dishes!)
Lauren-Pork Scallopine with Polenta and Sauteed Escarole
Kathryn-Veal Skirt Steak Marsala with Whipped Mashed Potatoes and Sauteed Spinach with a butter sauce
 
I should mention, for those who don't know, that skirt steak is typically a tough piece of meat and is difficult to keep tender. But I could cut that veal with the side of my fork (I didn't, but I could have). And as a side note: I should tell you that I couldn't eat all of it this night so I ate it Thursday night for dinner, which meant heating it up in the microwave and that veal was just as tender!)
 
The marsala sauce was heavenly. I ate every bite slowly so that I could enjoy it and my goodness, I wish I could have some of that right now!
 
For dessert:
As typical, Lauren and I split dessert.
We ordered: Almond Cake topped with Vanilla Gelato and Sweet Balsamic Strawberries. It was light and sweet, but not too much. And the vanilla gelato was smooth and creamy and wonderful.
 
Wild Olive is one of my new favorite restaurants and one I will return to as soon as I can.

No comments: