Friday, October 19, 2007

Happenings...

So I think some exciting things have happened in the last couple of days!

I met a new girl named Katie the other night walking home from dinner. Apparently my long, wavy, blond hair is obvious even in the dark that I'm a foreigner! She came up to me and said, "You want to give me a hand with my English?" Right now? Um...I can't right now. Anyway, we set up another possible time (which probably won't happen). At the end of the conversation she tells me I have a big nose! What?!?! Thankfully an American here told me that the Chinese think Americans have big noses, but they think they're beautiful. I'm so glad I had that 'warning' if you will! I always thought I had a normal size nose :)

And after being sick for five days the little Japanese girls next door came to check on me! Wasn't that sweet? They're in my class so they noticed I wasn't there and well, that I hadn't been out of my room since, uh Saturday! (This was Wednesday.) And...MeiShui brought me roasted chestnuts! Too sweet!

Yesterday Erin and I went to lunch and I successfully ordered our lunch and understood what the lady was saying. The night before I went into the same restaurant by myself. This is the place I got when I'm alone because they have a nice upstairs where I can read in peace while I eat. Usually I have no idea what I just ordered. I point to something someone else has and then pay. This night I came in and pulled out a sheet of paper I had prepared with the characters of food that I like and then how to say it. I wanted to be able to read the menu and then tell the guy what I wanted. As soon as he saw me pull it out he started laughing, said something and then the whole restaurant erupted into laughter. Guess I'm a comedian now:)

And tonight these two old ladies commented that they thought I was French. Yes, I understood what they were saying! This has happened to me more than once! Apparently I look European! Is this good? I just don't know...