Saturday, April 5, 2008

Language

I'm finally seeing drastic improvement in my language. Ma Laoshi even complimented it the other day. This means a lot because she normally tells me how I need to work on it and it needs improvement. I'm starting to carry on conversations with the fruit stand couple that I go to see every few days and I'm talking in Chinese over meals with my Chinese friends, instead of speaking in English. I even have to laugh because when I'm speaking English with an American I find myself wanting to throw in Chinese words instead of English ones. It's all so interesting how different languages have wonderful ways to express feelings or thoughts that other languages don't have. There are some great sayings or words in Chinese that we don't have in English. We would have to give a whole paragraph just to express what one word can in Chinese. Hence the reason I like to throw those Chinese words in there sometimes:)

And thank goodness it's spring. Today it's a high of 81 degrees! I'm no longer running in multiple layers! Yea! And the grass is no longer completely brown. It's turning green! That doesn't mean we can walk in it or sit on it. But it's candy for the eyes!