Thursday, April 10, 2008

Watchin' Out for Me

Each time I buy fruit I try and go to the same fruit stand. It's right across from the supermarket and near all of my favorite restaurants. A couple in their 50's runs it. For the longest time I only saw the man, but in the last couple of months his wife has been helping him. Since my Chinese is improving I can actually talk with them.

Wednesday I rode my bike up there to buy some apples. (These have become my favorite snack!) The wife was working that day. I opted not to carry a purse and since it was so warm I didn't have a jacket on either. I had my keys and wallet attached together and both of those were attached to my bike lock that were all sitting in my basket on the front of my bike.

When the lady saw that my wallet was just sitting in the basket she got all excited. How could I leave my wallet in the basket for someone to take it? She took it out and told me how I needed to put it inside my clothes so no one could see it. (That day I was wearing a puffy vest over a long-sleeved shirt.) She started to search me all over for pockets to put my wallet in. I didn't have any. I assured her that I knew she was right and I would have pockets or a purse tomorrow and that I wouldn't do this again. She continued to look for a pocket and unzipped my vest still looking for pockets.

She found one! I didn't even know it was there! A little pocket on the inside of my vest. She tried desperately to stuff this wallet and my keys into the pocket. I thought she was going to break it. I just smiled and laughed the whole time. She finally got it all in and started patting me, indicating that all is well now. I thanked her for helping me and taking care of me in this way. She seemed so pleased. She even threw in a few cherry tomatoes as a nice gesture:)

I think I have a new friend:)