Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Your eyes...

Yesterday evening I was standing in the hall talking to one of my classmates, a girl from France named Carolyn. She had brought me a cupcake she'd made and we were just chatting. Three of the girls from Kyrgyzstan walked by and said hello. (They live across the hall from me.) As I was walking back into my apartment to put the cake away before going to dinner they stopped me. Rosalina says, "Kathryn, your eyes drive me crazy!" I'm sorry, what?!?! I was so confused! She says it again with more expression this time! I said, "Are you joking?" They all assure me they're not with nods and so forth. They ask me if my eyes are green, which they are and I confirm that with them. And again, "Your eyes drive me crazy!" I laughed and said thank you. The four of us had a good laugh about it actually.

I've been laughing about it ever since. In their way they were trying to show me a genuine complement in a language that's not their first, not even their second. :) It still makes me laugh out loud :)