Monday, June 30, 2008

Ordering gas



So this is a picture of my stove as well as my gas tank. Funny story...as I told you earlier, I ran out of gas about a week and a half ago. Well, I only ordered more gas yesterday. I called the guy to bring me another tank. When you first get one you pay a deposit for the first tank as well as the gas inside (similar to buying propane in the States). He brings and replaces the old one with a new one and you pay for the gas. So he lugs this tank of gas on his bicycle over to my house and then up two flights of stairs. I hooks it up and I realize I don't have enough cash on me. I had gone to the bank earlier that day to get money but the ATM had run out of cash (it's typical if you get there after xiuxi (similar to the Mexican "siesta" time). So I didn't have money. We agreed that I would go and get some and come back to pay him. So I hopped on my bike and peddled over to a friend's house to borrow 100 Yuan. The gas cost 70 Yuan. I peddled back over to my complex to pay him but I couldn't find him anywhere. So the nice men that guard the gate helped me look for him. We still couldn't find him. Eventually he called me wondering where I was. He had been hiding in the shade behind some trees all along!