Thursday, January 8, 2009

My eyes

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

I would say since 2005 this song has been playing in my head on a regular basis. It's a simple tune and one that just pops in. I found myself singing it this morning while on a walk with my dad and our dog. It just "popped" in! What a simple message to remember. The Lord reminds me of a few different things when I sing this song.

Turn my eyes to Jesus-keep my focus on Him. Look to Him for answers, comfort, provision, healing, love, strength, protection, etc.

Look full in His wonderful face-it truly is wonderful. And so often I forget that. I do forget His goodness and the glory of His being (every part of Him). I think if I look to Him and His wonderful face, the shimmer of Himself will shine from me for all to see.

The things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace-perspective. That's what it is. This was a lesson I started to learn when I was in Thailand this year. I can look at anything and see the bad in it. I can look at anything and see the sin, the hurt, the horror, the uncertainty, the unfairness, the injustice, the hate. But to look at His glory and His grace is to remember the sacrifice He made. It's to remember the unconditional love. It's to remember His promises to heal, to protect, to strengthen, to comfort, to give good gifts to His children, to discipline, etc. Also to look at this life with a higher purpose; that I'm not here to satisfy myself. I'm not here to wander through life just waiting for death. In the light of all of that my perspective can change. I can know that I don't have to live in fear of everything that the world sends my way. My God is stronger than all of that. I don't have to wander through life. I can live with purpose and confidence, for my God is bigger than all of that.

What is it that you see when you look at Jesus' wonderful face? What are the things of this world that keep you from seeing His glory and grace?

Turn your eyes upon Jesus today. See His greatness and glory. Let your focus be on Jesus and not on the things of this world. Let Him change your perspective on everything. He can and will. For He is a great God!!!!