Tuesday, December 16, 2008

From one to the other

I went from having no work to having a lot all of a sudden. I started substitute teaching yesterday. I was a 1st grade aid and then a 6th grade Bible teacher. Today I helped the 4th grade make gingerbread houses, was a librarian for the afternoon and told the 5th grade about my experiences with Muslims.

I was really thankful to be able to share about my experiences with Muslims. The biggest thing their teacher wanted them to learn was not to judge all Muslims by a few. I tried to reiterate that one as well. Because it's not true, they aren't all the same, just like Christians aren't all the same. Every Muslim that I've ever met has been so sweet and caring and very hospitable and giving. Look for the good in people and you'll sometimes find things you weren't expecting.

Can I also say one more thing?

Sunday morning I didn't go to church. I spent the morning with God at home and on a walk with my dog. As I'm walking back home there were many, many cars that drove past me (most likely on their way to church themselves-all dressed up and about that time in the morning). I waved and smiled to each one and out of about 16 cars there were two that waved back. Now, most mornings when I pass people going to work or taking their kids to school, I wave and they wave and smile right back. They even initiate a lot of times. What's sad to me is that on a Sunday morning when people are driving to church to worship God they seem to be less happy than on a weekday when driving to work.

This is similar to what waiters and waitresses say about working Sundays. They hate working Sunday afternoon lunches. People who attend church are known (for the most part) to be stingy with tips and instead leave a tract or a nice note. Point is, they don't leave a tip. Man we're not giving good impressions...all around.

I'm supposed to be the light in the darkness. To love me enemies and love those who hate me. Be a step above. My life is different. I know the one true God. But how many times do I look just like or even worse than the people who don't know the Lord?