Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The wonder in it all

I just finished working on a document at work and I took a moment to take another sip of my coffee as I pondered how my stomach is going to handle the potato soup I just ate for lunch (wondering if water would help the process). And I thought how miraculous it is that our bodies know what to do with food and liquids and how to separate them and everything. Really the whole process of the human body is truly amazing and something that is difficult for me to comprehend. And then my mind went to the scientists or "sceptics" out there who can so easily dismiss giving glory to a Creator for His imagination in creating us this way.

I look at the body and think, "Wow, what a smart and creative God I have!" They look at the body and want to explain the wonder and the creativeness away with science. Science isn't bad; not at all! So many wonderful things have come from science. But my concern/my feeling of sadness for them is that in explaining away the wonder and the miracle of it, they lose all ability to see any wonder or any miracle in anything.

I had a friend a couple of years back that used to call me when there was a rainbow or when the the sunset was really striking. She was so excited about it! I got so annoyed at her for calling me about something so small and insignificant. Who cares?! I thought she was rediculou and actually small-minded. (Yes, I have judgemental thoughts that I'm not proud of.) But boy was I wrong! Now I see.

And today I have people in my life that minimize things that are truly huge! Beautiful things that they try and make ugly by their pessimism or scepticism. And these people are not always non-believers. Sometimes they are believers.

So today, thinking about the little miracle that I saw and remembering that girl a few years back, I thought how sorry I am that I minimized her wonder in the little things, but glad to see it now for what it is. Glad that I can see the miracle of it and the Creator in it. And instead of being that pessimist or "realist" (as I so often call myself) that explains away everything, I'd like to be the one who looks for the wonder and the miracle.

Some things that I find wonder in:
1. The human body
2. That people around the world look so different (i.e. body type, size, facial structure, etc.) and that they hold such different practices in culture
3. The brain makes decisions for me subconciously (i.e. breathing)
4. Ladybugs
5. Giraffes-did you know that there is no scientific explanation for a giraffe's life? Their necks are too long to get blood from the heart to the brain. Yet here they are! Definite Creator wonder!
6. A smile can change an attitude
7. The wind
8. Tides/waves/currents
9. Fingerprints-it's amazing that every one is different isn't it?!
10. The invention of colors
11. Changed hearts
12. Mountains-i mean giant hills that are breathtaking!
13. Snow

What are the little things that you find wonder in?

No comments: