Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Shack

Okay, real quick-I went out with the guy in the Blue Corvette, Mike. Great guy. Super nice, good looking and a perfect gentleman, but not perfect for me. So friends, maybe. Anything more? Nope.

Onto the title of the post.

Have you read the book, "The Shack"? I read it about 3.5 months ago. I really enjoyed it. So much, in fact, that I read it in four days. There seems to be a bit of controversy about it, but I liked it. I thought it was a very creative way to write about God the Father, God the Son and the Holy Spirit. Made me think.

Anyway, I went to the hair dresser yesterday afternoon. And yes, I feel like a new woman! You ladies out there know exactly what I'm talking about. :) And can I just say that that was the least amount of time I've ever spent in a salon getting my hair cut and colored. This girl was a genius!

Back to the hairdresser, Janelle. She initiated the conversation by asking if I had read "The Shack". I told her I had and then asked what she thought about the book. This led into a conversation about how interesting the analogies were and then somehow onto China and what I was doing there. Why did I build relationships with people? What did that look like? What happened when there was trust built? She was very interested in all of that.

In that moment I saw opportunity standing in front me. And looking back I see God standing there handing it to me. Did I share the Good News with Janelle yesterday? No I didn't. But she knows what I'm about and what my life represents and she still wants to talk to me and ask questions. That's progress. And I truly believe that (1) God has been working in her heart to put a desire in her to know more about Him and (2) that there was a believer or believers who had gone before me and paved the way.

Looking forward to my next hair appointment and now for another reason other than the glow of highlights that follow! :)

No comments: