Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Holy Spirit who draws us

I was sitting with a friend yesterday and we were discussing many, many things. At this moment, I'm sure you're envisioning us sitting up straight in wingback chairs with nice suits on, sipping tea. But in fact, there she was in a sundress and me in a hiking skirt and chocos and we were sitting on the floor.

We were discussing our role in bringing people to the saving knowledge of knowing Christ. Sometimes I sit at work and I wonder how in the world I'm going to share Christ with these people around me. How am I going to share with them in a way that will make sense to them, in a way that they will believe? And I think about if I were them and I were looking what Jesus teaches from their point of view. It really seems crazy! And then to think through all of the "answers" that I've been taught or learned to give in response to their questions about Jesus and being a follower of His and they all come from the Bible. But what if these people don't believe the Bible to have any bearing on their lives as truth? What then?

All of these questions continually float through my head as I pray for the people I work with and I pray for wisdom to know how to reach and what to say to them and how to love them. For a moment (maybe more than a moment) I get ansy inside and worried and scared.

But as my friend pointed out yesterday, it is the Holy Spirit who opens people's eyes to the Truth. It is the Holy Spirit who brings you to belief in Jesus. Otherwise, yes, it would seem crazy.

That takes some of the pressure off of me for sure. Got to keep on keepin' on with the people around me. And keep praying that they respond to the Holy Spirit in their life and that I don't do anything to get in the way.

It is the Holy Spirit who draws us near. Lovin' that.

No comments: