Thursday, August 20, 2009

People-person

Over the last few days I've been thinking about one of the changes in me over the last two years. Most of my life (at least as far as I can tell) I've been a very task-oriented person. I've been very focused on that check list and getting it done. And not only that, but I've defined myself by how much I can get done, how well I do it, how I can do it better than others, how other people praise for me doing it, etc. I put my worth in those tasks.

Leaving the 9-5 working job and moving to China was a challenge in this area. I jumped into a "job" that was completely relational and not task-oriented by any stretch of the imagination. I knew it would be a struggle going into it. In fact, when Pioneers asked me what my greatest struggle would be in going to China I told that having to switch from being task-oriented to a relational job would be the biggest struggle. And it was!

But it hasn't been until recently, while working at my new job (which is very task-oriented), that I'm come to see that I've changed. I feel like I've switched sides. I've come to love people and love being relational-looking for ways to get to know people and ways to start up conversations. I would much rather stand in the break room and talk to a stranger or listen to a co-workers problems than doing any of the things that I'm supposed to be doing for my job.

I look at this job as my ministry and therefore, want to spend all of my time with my co-workers just talking and getting to know them. Now I do realize that if I don't do my actual job, I won't have it much longer and then lose my ministry there!

It's just funny that I've kind switched over to the other side! Makes me smile...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these most recent posts... I think the wind is blowing strongly in your life, Kathryn. And who knows where that will lead... I'm excited for you! Love, A

Mark & Jennie said...

Wow, I totally connect with that post, K! Thanks for sharing - I'm excited to hear your journey!