Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hominy Grill-restaurant review

I had dinner with a friend tonight at the Hominy Grill on Rutledge Ave. in Charleston, SC. I have been there once before for brunch.

The Hominy Grill is known for their breakfast/brunch and they should be! It's delicious!

But dinner...a bit different.

It's southern food for sure, so go in there expecting that. But what I wasn't expecting were the high prices and kind of small portions. My meal cost $13.95 and it was not a dinner's plate full of food. And really, nothing expensive on there at all!

I ordered the "Southern Steak with Gravy". It was a pot roast. Now don't get me wrong, the roast was good and very tender. But it was a little misleading when called "Southern steak". I also ordered my two vegetables-Crowder Peas and Lima Beans. The Crowder Peas? Very flavorful. The lima beans? Bland, bland, bland. I don't believe I've ever put so much salt on lima beans in my life!

My friend ordered the sesame-crusted catfish to which she said it was dry and "chalky" to quote her. :) And the deep-fried grits that were underneath the catfish were bland as well (I tasted them myself).

The service at Hominy Grill is very good and our food came out rather quickly, which was nice. The atmosphere is quaint. But make sure you really like being close to people. :)

To sum it all up, the food is not worth the price. Not when there are places like Poogan's Porch and 82 Queen out there in downtown Charleston that serve mouthwatering southern style food. And let's never forget Cracker Barrel, which is equally as good for a much cheaper price!

Oh and I have I ever mentioned that to find the best Shrimp and Grits in Charleston you have to go to the Francis Marion hotel on the corner of King St. and Calhoun St. Really, the best!

No comments: