Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fuel-Restaurant Review

Fuel Charleston as it is also called. This place used to be an old gas station, hence where the name derives from. You get it?

When I first picked this place I was thinking it was a restaurant with a sort of Asian flare to it. Not so. It's Caribbean food, focusing on tacos. The menu is not large, which I think I can be good. You have a short number of items on a menu and the cook/chef can focus on perfecting those items. You have too many items and nothing is bound to be good. I'm weary of restaurants that have huge menus. Something to think about...

Fuel is located downtown Charleston at the corner of Cannon and Rutledge, across the street from the Hominy Grill (which, btw has amazing breakfast/brunch!). Parking is limited so know that before you drive up close and could potentially get stuck.

The place kind of reminded me of an old diner at first look. In we walked...and were greeted by a couple of people I think. Very nice. I was able to see the inside of the joint for a brief moment, but yes, definitely reminded me of that old diner. I like old diners. We asked to sit outside and so glad we did! The ambience outside was really nice. Some of the tables were "covered" in old maps of the islands of the Caribbean, which of course, helped make you feel like you were there. The decor with the candles and the greenery outside made it feel kind of island-like.

Now, onto my favorite part of any restuarant...the food.

Because we were starving we ordered an appetizer of corn fritters. I must say, in looking at fritter it's not usually something that I think "wow, that looks so appetizing!" But regardless of the look of a fried corn patty, the taste was good. It had a good kick to it and hit the tastebuds nicely, but I can say that I would have preferred it to not be as "tight".

Like I said before, Fuel kind of focuses on their tacos. And unlike Taco Boy, you get two tacos with each order as well as a side item. With the choices between a variety of fish tacos, vegetarian tacos and chicken, pork or beef tacos I would have easily been satisfied. And each taco has a different concoction of relish/salsa on it. But this mouth was wanting fish. Onto the mahi-mahi tacos I went.

Mahi-Mahi tacos with a spicy pineapple relish and purple cabbage slaw. I'm thinkin' the tortillas might have been made in-house, but I can't be certain on that. Tacos, very good and nice and hot. Oh and packed full of stuff. Fried plantains were my side item. They were sweet and crispy and delicious! In fact, I could eat some of that right now!

Overall, great place to eat. Casual and cool. Good for large groups or a table of two. Service is quick and friendly. And, you can bring your dog (as long as Fido stays on a leash)!

No comments: