Friday, June 11, 2010

One week

I’m leaving one week from today for China! At this time next week I’ll be hanging out in Toronto with my mom while we anxiously await the time to board that big ol’ plane set for Beijing! I still can’t believe it’s been almost two years since I’ve been in China. It doesn’t seem that long. I feel like it was just a few months ago, but alas, it is much longer.

 

Some of the exciting highlights to come:

1.       The Toronto airport layover. It’s a long one and I kind of like that. Mom and I will grab breakfast and some much needed coffee and we’ll “sit and talk” and watch people. That will be my first time in Canada. Does that count?

2.       The international flight. It’s totally acceptable to be lazy and watch movies or sleep for hours. There’s nothing else to do! And ya know, I always seem to meet interesting people on international flights. They usually seem to be Asian doctors that are men. Hmmm….

3.       Immigration in Beijing. I’m really just looking forward to watching the three people I’ll be traveling with as they deal with the Chinese culture and no queues!

4.       The food. You know this had to be mentioned at some point right? The noodles, the chilies, the dumplings, the lamb, the eggplant, etc. You name a food there and I’m excited to eat it! Btw, when I return and you think maybe I look a few pounds heavier, it’s because I AM a few pounds heavier. No comments please. ;)

5.       Seeing old friends. What a great time to catch up and talk and laugh and pray together and encourage one another. It’s been too long to wait to see such dear friends. My heart will be glad.

6.       The train from Yinchuan to Xi’An. This “adventure” will be an interesting one for sure. It’s going to be hot and humid and smell awful. I hope I’m up for it. I am no longer accustomed to this and my traveling companions aren’t either. Hoping there are no “instances” to speak of.

7.       Some good ol’ bargaining. It’s been a while since arguing over a price was socially acceptable and I’m looking forward to it. Pullin’ out the skills there. Hope I can be as tough as those Chinese women! They’re pros you know.

8.       More great stories and adventures with my mom. What a great lady!

 

Have I packed? No.

Have I been to store to get necessities for this trip? No.

So not like me. I’ve got my list though. That’s better than nothing I guess.

Oh, got a new camera and you better believe I’ll be posting pics as we go so stay tuned for some photos from across the pond!

No comments: