Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fulton Five - Restaurant Review

I met my food friend, Lauren, at Fulton Five last night following an incredible performance by Leszek Mozdzer of Poland. Fulton Five is a quaint restaurant located at 5 Fulton St. in Charleston, SC. It has been named one of the most romantic restaurants in Charleston. With enough seating for about 36 people and minimal lighting, it's easy to see how this could be true. If you've never been to Fulton Five it can be hard to navigate if you will. It's not hard to find the actual restaurant but it is difficult to determine where the entrance is. So for those of you who've never gone, but would like to-the entrance is downstairs not upstairs! Lauren and I each looked like fools heading up those stairs to nowhere! Another tidbit is that there are about 5-6 parking spaces across the street from Fulton Five reserved specifically for their customers. It's free.

On to the food!

Lauren and I always share an appetizer, each order an entree and share a dessert.

APPETIZER
Prosciutto and Mozzarella wrapped in a Romaine leaf and grilled with a tomato balsamic dressing. It was warm with simple flavors. I could really taste each part of the dish. It was a lovely start and was definitely a foreshadowing of things to come.

ENTREE
Lauren-Chocolate Espresso Rubbed Fillet with whipped potatoes and asparagus. I only tasted a bite of this but it was very good. The chocolate espresso was very subtle, but could still be tasted. Personally, I would have liked it to be bit stronger as the bites more towards the center of the fillet were not as strong in the chocolate espresso flavor.

Kathryn-Bone-in Pork Chop over Gorgonzola mashed potatoes with Apple Cider Braised Swiss Chard and an au jus. Umm, can I just say really quickly that I am an incredible orderer. If and when you go out to eat with me let me order for you because I'm very good! Anyway, back to the yummy meal. By the way, I never order pork chops in a restaurant because I make them at home so much, but I just had to get this-mainly for the mashed potatoes. And I am so glad I did! The pork chop cooked to medium and wow was it tender and thick! Minimal seasoning, mainly with some cracker pepper on top. I ate this first and then moved on to the mashed potatoes and the swiss chard. (I wanted to make sure I had enough room in my stomach to finish that pork!) The whole meal was delicious with the subtle flavorings of the gorgonzola cheese in the mashed potatoes and the apple cider flavor in the swiss chard. It seems that there are a lot of different flavors going on here, and there were, but they all went so well together.

DESSERT
Tiramisu-admittedly this was my first time having it. I'm usually not of fan of chocolate desserts so this was perfect because there's not too much chocolate and it's bittersweet chocolate so it's not too sweet. It was light and airy and a nice blend of espresso and chocolate. The plate was cleaned by us girls!

I found the service to be very good. David was our waiter and he was very personable and took his time to answer any questions, as well as explain each special in wonderful detail. As typical in restaurants, you have a waitor/waitress that is assigned to your table and you, as the customer, are to only ask questions of your waitor. But Fulton Five wasn't the case. While David was our main waitor, the staff at Fulton Five share responsibilities of each table to ensure that customers are not waiting too long for anything while the waitor is serving someone else. I found this to be a nice touch and one that made a clear statement that we, the customers, are important to them. Thank you Fulton Five.

I very much recommend this restaurant for you romantics out there. It's a keeper!

No comments: